Caesars Windsor is ready to welcome back individuals ready to gamble in-person, as it has remained closed over the past four months. The City Council recently issued more information about the estimated financial hit resulting from the closures. It could reach up to CA$29.7 million over this year. July 13 is going to see the complete report on the subject.
For weeks and months, vital areas of the city have remained closed for business, as the province of Ontario has mandated physical distancing. Health protection was a leading factor when the province issued its measures back in March. Ever since then locations such as Caesars Windsor, Windsor International Airport, Enwin Utilities, and the Detroit-Windsor tunnel have remained closed.
Deficit across Windsor
Nearly four months after the lockdown it is time for an evaluation of the impact and the foreseeable future. Projections at this point of the lockdown are that the financial woes could climb all the way to CA$29.7 million. Revenue loss due to the closing of these areas and especially due to the lack of gambling revenue is going to leave a significant indent in the city coffers.
The revenue loss is not the only thing that would affect the coffers. When all is said and done the City Council projects some CA$36.6 million in revenue losses. The unprecedented situation around the globe and in Canada came with its costs. The budget had to put aside some CA$15.4 million in order to meet the expectations of the community when it comes to safety measures and protection.
Health recommendations had to be followed strictly once they were issued, which called for the unexpected budget costs. Mayor Drew Dilkens stated that the reality exceeded the expectations when it comes to financial loss. He also said that the provincial government should provide support in these trying times. He is going to join other Ontario city mayors in a conversation regarding the budget deficit.
Casino Prepares for Reopening
Caesars Windsor is one of the main engines for the region, as it provides Windsor with regular gaming revenue allocations along with support for various local projects and charitable organizations. It should also be taken into account that the casino resort also makes it possible for many locals to find a reliable workplace in their area and build a career within the structure of the casino resort.
Stage Three of the business reopening plan issued by Ontario’s government is the period that is going to see the official reopening of brick-and-mortar casino venues and gambling halls. For the time being, the province has not highlighted the particular date when this next phase is about to commence. Kevin Laforet, President of Caesars Windsor, stated that the gaming venue is now completely ready to welcome patrons.
In the meantime, Detroit casino operation is ready to receive a green light, as MGM Grand Detroit Casino has implemented safety protocols protecting both casino patrons and the staff members. Meanwhile, Ontario gaming venues remain closed and Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation relies on online gaming and lottery ticket sales only.